Monday, March 23, 2015

Beginning of an Era? Disney's Cinderella (2015)









“Isn’t it strange that kids today are only going to know the live action Cinderella and might be completely unaware of the cartoon?”

My sister and I were headed home after seeing Cinderella when she made this comment, and it’s been on my mind since. I was somewhat flippant at the time, pointing out that the animated version is from 1950 and far removed from children today anyway, but maybe my baby sister was onto something.

Let’s face it, the Age of Saturday Morning Cartoons, with kids eating sugary cereal in front of the television set, is over. Even when I was a kid watching my favorite cartoons—Looney Tunes, Animaniacs, Power Rangers—the phenomenon was already on a steep decline, and that was during the Disney Renaissance with films like The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King, to name a few. This type of animation was on the way out again by the mid-90s though, thanks to computer-animation and then the blending for 3D CGI and traditional techniques that we see in Brave, Tangled, and Frozen. Animated films as I knew them as a child aren’t in vogue anymore, and Disney has now branched, with smashing success, into the realm of live-action films with Maleficent, Cinderella, and soon Beauty and the Beast.

So was my sister right about little kids today missing out on the classic 1950s version of Cinderella with songs like “A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes” and “Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Boo”? The movie has been put in the Disney Vault on several occasions but it’s always been re-released with fanfare, so I don’t think there’s a real threat of Cinderella vanishing from memory, at least not yet. It’s still the one that most parents were raised on (including most millennials), so I think children will still have exposure to it. But maybe one day my sister’s premonition will come true.

As for the live-action Cinderella that’s currently in theatres? I absolutely loved it! The cinematography and renderings were breath-taking, and I don’t think that there could have been a better cast. Lily James was perfection as Cinderella, innocent and bright; Cate Blanchett, to my surprise, was the embodiment of Lady Tremaine, and I spent a large part of the movie experiencing wardrobe envy. It was also interesting to see the mistress of macabre, Helena Bonham Carter, playing the frothy, Fairy Godmother, although I wish she’d been a bit more present in the film. As for Prince Charming? I challenge anyone to find fault with Richard Madden. But the story was sadder than I remembered, and perhaps there is something to be said about having actors instead of cartoons on the big screen. I cried on more than one occasion. #sorrynotsorry

While I did miss the musical aspect just a little (I may have “A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes” on my iPhone in a Disney Playlist…), if this is the direction that Disney is going in, I’m not complaining. It certainly breathed fresh life into the timeless story and is making it available to new generations. So maybe I should stop being a pessimist and, instead of seeing it as an end of an era, see live action films as the beginning of a new and exciting one.

So what were your thoughts on Cinderella?

6 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought about it that way! Kids may not grow to know and love the cartoon Cinderella, wow. If they don't know A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes then they are totally missing out - but in many ways this could be a good thing. The new messages in Disney stories are better for children. Like sibling love standing in for true love (with basic strangers) in Frozen and in Cinderella the emphasis on Have Courage and Be Kind. Although this Cinderella got an epic happy ending, the emphasis wasn't on her just becoming a Princess. She found a partner. It was so beautiful, I really would love to watch it again. That folk lullaby was wonderful as well. It was a good choice.

    Kindness is the best accessory,
    Rebecca Kelsey Sampson
    RebeccaKelsey.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree. The new messages are much healthier than the ones I grew up with (how many times is a prince going to save the helpless princess?), and the live action Cinderella was no different. I'd love to watch it again as well, and the folk lullaby was lovely <3.

      Delete
  2. I haven't seen the movie yet but really want to, it looks amazing. I love old classic Disney movies and so it'll be interesting to see how they converted Cinderella! x

    Amy | The Perks of Being Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great movie! I hope you get to see it soon.

      Delete
  3. I like all these new Disney films but I'm definitely going to make sure my niece sees all the old classic animations too! x

    Josie’s Journal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same! They are classics for a reason, after all.

      Delete